Improving the performance of your website doesn’t have to be a major undertaking. There are a number of very simple things that can make the world of difference to how you perform in search engines and to how your customers behave on-site.
If you’re able to invest a few hours, here’s a quick guide to the top 5 housekeeping tasks to improve your site.
- Make sure you’re doing the SEO basics. This has to be the first thing you do and (despite what many SEO professionals will have you believe) doing the basics is a simple job. So…
- Make sure that you’re using keywords in the Page Title, along with H1, H2, H3 and so on.
- If you have images on the page, make sure you’ve got your keywords in the Alt attribute.
- The URL should also contain keywords if possible but this can take slightly longer than 10 minutes to rectify, particularly if you’re unlucky enough to be stuck with a “dynamic” query type URL.
- Think about Navigation. Nothing’s more likely to impact performance than a site that’s hard to navigate. As with so many things in life, the golden rule is Keep it Simple. Try to keep drop down menus to a manageable level and provide clear signposts to target content. You should know what your priority content is, so make it visible and easy to find.
- Work on your meta description. It’s often overlooked as it doesn’t really add benefit in terms of SEO but the meta description attribute is the key to converting search engine results in to click-throughs. It’s what viewers see when they scan through the search engine results page so think of this as your elevator pitch. Make it crisp and informative and give those viewers a reason to click on your link.
- Work on your “about us” pages. Time and again we see these overlooked pages attracting high numbers of page views on Google Analytics. People gravitate to the “about us”, “management team”, “our history” pages as they want to know who they are dealing with. These pages should not be an afterthought, they are an opportunity to assert credibility and provide reassurance.
- Work your internal links. This is an extremely easy task that pays huge dividends in SEO performance. Though they don’t carry as much weight as external links, internal links do help SEO so take every opportunity to crosslink pages on your own site. Don’t forget to use proper keyword anchor text, there is no excuse for “click here”.
If you have the know-how and the time to do this for yourself, it will be an afternoon well spent. If you don’t why not give us a call to see how we can help.